Admin_History | The Catholic community in Wimbledon Park was served by the Jesuit priests from the Sacred Heart Church. In 1913 Fr O'Gorman SJ was appointed to oversee the district of Wimbledon Park. A wealthy local man, Mr Lee, provided a site and funds to build a chapel. The original structure was an iron chapel known by locals as 'The Tank'. The chapel of ease was dedicated to St Austin's. In 1926 permission was granted to a build a new church in Wimbledon Park; this was completed in 1928 by the architect Giles Gilbert Scott and the church was renamed Christ the King in honour of the recently instituted feast. Christ the King remained a district of the Sacred Heart parish until 1955 when Fr Arnold Jordan SJ was made first parish priest of Wimbledon Park. In 1959 control of the parish was handed to the Diocese of Southwark. |