RepositoryJesuits in Britain Archives
Ref NoABSI/SJ/105
TitleFr Dermod Whyte SJ (1907-1975)
DescriptionThis collection contains the personal papers of Fr Dermod Whyte. This includes: personal papers; diaries; correspondence; programmes; certificates; poems; material relating to family; school papers and photographs.
Admin_HistoryFr Dermod Whyte was born at Altrincham, Cheshire, on 7 August 1907, and was educated at Wimbledon before entering the novitiate at Roehampton on 7 September 1925.

Fr Whyte studied philosophy at Heythrop (Oxon), taught for three years at Hodder (1932-1935) and returned to Heythrop for theology. He was ordained on 6 September 1938.

He then taught at Stonyhurst (1939-1941), served as a Chaplain in the R.A.F. during the Second World War (1941-1945), including in Fano, Italy. He then returned for a short time to Stonyhurst as Subminister, before serving as Min. dom. at St Mary's Hall from 1946-1948.

In 1948 Fr Whyte went to St Beuno's for his Tertianship and took his Final Vows on 2 February 1950. From St Beuno's he went to Barlborough Hall School as Min. dom. in 1949.

In 1958 he left Barlborough Hall School and, after a short spell at St Francis Xavier's Preparatory School, he served on the parish in Edinburgh from 1959-1963. Fr Whyte never really settled down in Edinburgh and so, in 1963, he left the city to become Chaplain at Ladycross, Seaford, until 1965 when he went into hospital.

In 1966 Fr Whyte went to Heythrop (Oxon) as Subminister before joining the Liverpool parish staff for a year in 1968. Following this he was chaplain at Hodder (1969-1971) and at St Mary's Hall (1971-1973).
Leaving St Mary's Hall in 1973, Fr Whyte went to Oxburgh Hall, Kings Lynn, as chaplain, was taken ill later in the year, and on recovering went to Stamford Hill as Excurrens. There he remained until his final illness.

Fr Whyte had been making his retreat at St Ignatius' College, Enfield, when, on 8 October 1975, he suffered a serious stroke and was anointed before being taken to St Ann's Hospital, Tottenham. From then until his death he was unable to speak, and his many visitors felt that he was scarcely conscious of their presence. On 16 October the hospital notified a deterioration in his condition, especially in his breathing, and the prayers for dying were said.

On Friday 17 October 1975 Fr Dermod Whyte died. His Requiem Mass was performed at St Ignatius', Stamford Hill on 20 October, before his remains were taken to the Holy Name Church in Manchester, on the following day.
Related MaterialArchive:
- For a note on Fr Edmund D'Arcy SJ's notes see: ABSI/SJ/73/9
- For 2 black and white photographs of Fr Whyte in clerical dress, 1 by a Church, and 1 seated, see: ABSI/SJ/PH/1302

For his obituary see: Letters & Notices vol. 81 pp. 132-142
Illuminated manuscript
Printed document
AccessConditionsThe papers are available subject to the usual conditions of access to archive material in the Jesuits in Britain Archives. Contains some closed material.
DS/UK/1286Whyte; Dermod (1907-1975); Jesuit Priest1907-1975

    Copyright ©