|Admin_History||Fr William McEntegart SJ was born on 14 June 1891 in Liverpool, of a big family of strong Irish origins and deep religious affiliation. By the time he was 19 he had graduated from St Francis Xavier's College and had completed a B.Sc. at Liverpool University.|
In 1910 Fr McEntegart took the road to Manresa for his noviceship, going on from there to St Mary's Hall for philosophy, which he seems to have taken to with enthusiasm.
He then did five years of teaching at St Ignatius' College, Stamford Hill.
For his theology Fr McEntegart went to Milltown Park, and was ordained priest there in 1923. After this he did his Tertianship in Tullabeg in 1924.
He continued the Irish connection in 1925, when he was lent to the Irish Province for work in their Mission in Australia. For some years he taught as a professor (presumably of philosophy) at the Corpus Christi Diocesan Seminary at Werribee, run by the Society for Victoria and Tasmania. Fr McEntegart was happy there, on good terms with the seminarians outside lectures, and no doubt enjoying the facilities afforded by the Werribee river running by the grounds.
His next assignment was to Riverview, the Jesuit boarding school in Sydney. Fr McEntegart was however not very keen on school work and did not stay at it long. His next assignments, performing the same kind of job at Stonyhurst and the Mount, teaching Maths and Physics, were equally short-lived.
In 1930 he settled down at Heythrop as professor of Cosmology, for 13 years. Following his time at Heythrop he performed roles at St Ignatius' College, London (1944), St Francis Xavier's College, Liverpool (1945, 1951-53), Mount Street, London (1946), St Beuno's College, North Wales (1947-50).
In the decade from 1954 to 1964 Fr McEntegart again filled a number of useful assignments. He did a taught as a professor of philosophy at Sacred Heart College (1954-56) in the Madurai Province, India, and then joined the staff of the Campion High School Tiruchirappalli, Southern India (1957). There followed two more years professing - now it was Moral Theology - for the monks at Ealing Abbey, commuting from Manresa House, Roehampton (1958-59). Then for three years he was chaplain at Yateley Hall, the Junior school for Farnborough Convent, followed by a year at Assisi Maternity Home, Grayshott.
By now Fr McEntegart, into his 70's, was ready for retirement. He first went to the recently founded Jesuit college at Hornchurch but after a year joined the St Francis Xavier's College community at High Lee, Woolton (1964). He was faithful (with permission) to the Latin 'Tridentine' Mass, said early each day.
In 1970 he was assigned to St Beuno's, but did not stay there long. The next year saw him back in Liverpool, at Salisbury Street, for three years before moving to Petworth, spending three years there before this house was closed. His final home was Bridge House, Westbourne. Though a very old man by now, he remained content and in good shape until he was found unconscious one morning in the depth of winter and died very shortly afterwards on 31 January 1979.