|Admin_History||Br James McCann SJ was born on 20 October 1907 into a very large family of 13 in Glasgow, Scotland. The McCann family originally hailed from Cleland in Lanarkshire. |
Br McCann's began his working life at his family's business in scrap metal and as a houseboy in Garnethill, but soon followed his brother Br Charles McCann SJ to join the Society at Manresa in 1926.
In 1929 he went to Heythrop and performed duties as assistant cook, assistant infirmarian and refectorian. In 1933 Br McCann became chief cook for the whole establishment. While at Heythrop he became a skilled mechanic, learning from Fr Leycester-King, and ended up becoming in charge of transport at the college in 1936, maintaining a fleet of cars, motorbikes and various machines.
In 1948 Br McCann moved to Manresa, Roehampton, as 'Manuductor' for the Brother Novices and held this post at Manresa and later at Harlaxton until 1954. In that year he moved to Beaumont College, where he was in charge of the refectory. He then moved to Mount St Mary's in 1957, where he remained for five years. Here Br McCann was assistant to the Father Minister and once again in charge of transport.
Br McCann returned to his work as Manuductor for the young brothers at Woodhall House, Edinburgh, and at Harlaxton Manor, Lincolnshire, for two years after leaving Mount St Mary's College. Following this he spent three years as Sacristan at the Church of St Wilfrid, Preston. He assisted at the foundation of the new house at Westbourne, Bournemouth for two years, and after a short stay at Mount Street, London, he joined the staff of St Mary's-on-the-Quay, Bristol (1974-77).
By this time, his health was failing and in 1978 he retired to Preston. Br McCann died on 20 July 1979.