|Admin_History||James Brennan was born on 13 May 1906 in Liverpool and followed a traditional path to Jesuit priesthood. He was educated at St Francis Xavier College in Liverpool and entered the Society of Jesus on 7 September 1923. He progressed through the novitiate and juniorate before undertaking a degree in Classics at the University of London. He returned to teach at St Francis Xavier before undertaking the required study of Theology. Brennan was ordained after his third year on 9 September 1937. |
On completion of his formation as a Jesuit, Brennan taught for the greater part of his career. He spent eight years, mostly during the Second World War, teaching at St Ignatius College in Stamford Hill, London. He carried out a short period of relief work in Sunderland during this time. He then taught for a further ten years at his alma mater, St Francis Xavier College, before being forced to give up teaching in 1958 through ill health. Brennan primarily taught Classics, particularly Latin, although he also had an active interest in music and choir.
After the end of his teaching career, Brennan was appointed to the parish of the Sacred Heart in Edinburgh. After five years in Scotland, Brennan's next appointment was in 1963 to Campion House in Osterley for a period of six years in the post of priest and schoolmaster. In the final eight years of his life, Brennan return to St Francis Xavier in Liverpool where he served as the editorial chair of Letters & Notices.
James Brennan died on 28 April 1977 in his native Liverpool. His Requiem Mass took place on 6 May 1977 at St Francis Xavier Church in the city, followed by an internment at Yew Tree Cemetery.
A full obituary can be found in Letters & Notices volume 82, pp. 220 - 227.