|Admin_History||Thomas Lakeland was born in Preston on 24 April 1900 and was educated at the Jesuit school, Preston Catholic College. He joined the Jesuits aged sixteen, and entered Manresa House, Roehampton on 7 September 1916. After a brief service in the First World War, he returned to Manresa House. He studied Philosophy at St. Mary's hall, Stonyhurst for four years, with one year at Jesuit College in Jersey. He then taught at St. Michael's College, Leeds for the next four years. He studied Theology for another four years at Heythrop College, Oxon and was ordained on 9 September 1932. He then went to St. Beuno's College, North Wales. In 1934, he was appointed to teach French at St. Aloysius's College, Glasgow. He became headmaster in 1949, making his final vows in the Society of Jesus on 2 February 1935. He retired from that position in 1956 for reasons of health, but stayed at the College as a French teacher. |
In 1962, Fr. Lakeland was appointed Superior of the Jesuit community at the recently opened Jesuit school at Hornchurch, Essex.
In 1965, he became Spiritual Father at the Jesuit Brothers' House, Acre Road, Maryhill, and established himself in the same role at John Ogilivie Hall.
The last two years of his life were spent at St. John's Convent, Kiln Green, Reading, a house for sick and retired priests, where he died on 16 April 1979.